A Message from Interim Superintendent James A. Connelly
Dear Norwalk Families,
It is with a great deal of enthusiasm that I join Norwalk Public Schools as Interim Superintendent, while the Board of Education and the Norwalk community conducts the critical work of selecting a new superintendent. I look forward to working with and affirming the good work of Norwalk’s administrators, teachers and staff.
Although I officially started as Interim Superintendent on February 2, I had the opportunity to participate in a very productive two week transition period with Dr. Manuel Rivera. The transition gave me the opportunity to meet a wide variety of stakeholders.
Most importantly, I am fully committed to continuing Norwalk’s Strategic Plan, and the other initiatives that this community endorsed and supported. During the coming weeks, my plan is to work closely with various community stakeholders, including parents and partners that are dedicated to supporting and assisting Norwalk schools. As Interim Superintendent, I am committed to continuity and to furthering the initiatives that have been started. Over the upcoming weeks, that will include:
- Continuing to fine-tune standards of excellence to guide our schools and the work of school leaders.
- Advancing our literacy initiatives, as well as curriculum updates for K-5 writing, social studies, science and world language.
- Enhancing our student support and pupil services.
- Moving forward with the next phase of school safety initiatives, in tandem with the Norwalk Fire and Police Departments.
- Following last year’s successful expansion, planning for summer school 2015.
- Expanding recruitment activities to fill anticipated openings for the upcoming school year.
- Completing the budget cycle for the 2015-2016 fiscal year.
Those are just a few – but not all – of the priorities that will continue during my time here.
While I know there are challenges, there is also a tremendous amount of positive momentum here in Norwalk. With a solid foundation, a strong plan, and dedicated teachers and staff, I’m confident that the upcoming months at Norwalk Public Schools will continue to be full of progress and accomplishments. We are not going to miss a beat!
James A. Connelly